Monday, October 10, 2011

French Hospitality

Right so here was my weekend. I got sick starting Friday. But I decided that I still wanted to go out and meet people. This is Martines house. The teacher that invited me to dinner on Saturday night. She gave me a tour of her house. The dinner was great, I tried foie gras, which I didn't like much. But the rest of the food was amazing. The hospitality was also fantastic. Sometimes I think Americans feel that the French are rude. But in actuality, I think this misconception comes from the french being overly polite. There was an etiquette even to this meal shared with friends. Women were always served first, then men, and everything from the wine and appetizers to dessert was served in order of age. So I being the youngest woman, was always served just before the oldest man. It was a little bit different than the american version of "everythings on the table, dig in".

































The next morning I woke up super early and went to church with the other assistant and her friend. One of the families then invited us to lunch. So we went to lunch, and during lunch it was decided that they would take us to the rock museum before taking us home. So me, the other assistant, and her friend and this random french guy named Clemont who was traveling all around Europe went to the rock museum.















































































Look Mom and Dad, I found my agate! Unfortunately it's too big to bring home.





















And then I found the sparkly room!



















































































































































This rock was cool. It's from Brazil, is made out of a solids liquids and gasses, and is the only one in the world this big:






































































































And just when we thought the tour was over, the little french man opens up this door in the corner, and takes us into a blacklight room. Sorry the quality of pictures isn't that great, my camera doesn't do well in a dark room without a flash, and a flash would have ruined the effect. But I think you get the general idea of how cool it looked.



















































































Finally, we left the museum to head for home. But on the way home it was decided that we would go up the mountain to see the view. We were told " its a 20 minute climb but then you can see the whole valley". Being sick I was in NO mood for a hike in the cold, but I wasn't worried because I was used to french people messing up english verbs... obviously by climb he meant it's a 20 minute drive up the mountain. Well yes and no.... he did mess up the verb... but instead of meaning to say drive, he meant to say "hike". So you better enjoy these pictures.




This is what happens to a thousand year old bridge, when you don't take care of it: and so the hike begins!


















Poisonous mushroom that reminded me of mario carte for some reason.




























After much coughing sweating and heaving. I arrived at the top!



























Blue cabbage anyone? I'm assuming the garden left behind was as old as the house... because the stairs down to it, were crumbling along with the rest of the buildings.





Look everyone! I found the Marshal, Lilly and Ted tree! You have to watch How I Met Your Mother to understand this reference.



I have no idea how high up this is in miles, but since I climbed to this height, I figured I should take a picture.



Finally we hiked back down the mountain, and headed for home. While on the way home though, it was decided that we should stop at this mans workplace, which was a sort of factory that made granite slabs. Yes this was turning into a very long journey home. To all my friends and family wanting granite counter tops... many of these were imported from Italy!!










Apparently this is also a great place to learn the dance to that "cotten - eyed joe" song.






After visiting the granite slabs, it was decided that on our way home, we should stop at the house of another family and eat dinner with them. Turns out we went to the house of one of my students! I am very grateful for all the hospitality that was shown to me this weekend. However I wish I had been feeling a little more up to the weather... as it would have been more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment