Saturday, October 15, 2011

Becoming French..

This morning I decided it was time to assimulate myself into French culture, so I woke up early to drag myself down the mountain and head to the fresh market. When I entered into town I was greeted with the smell of sweet crepe being cooked everywhere. The market was MUCH smaller than the one in Angers, but had a good variety of food. The problem with shopping in France is that while you're taught the "main/ general" vocabulary in school, you're not taught the specifics. So knowing that "pain" means bread doesn't help when I'm presented with 16 types of "pain". So this time I just sort of went with my gut when it came to shopping. Here is all the pretty food I bought!


The rotisserie chicken is to die for! Somehow they managed to get it cooked to perfection, juicy with a cross between a grilled and smoked flavor. I vowed I would finish the thing (not in one meal though) even if it gave me the worst food poisoning I've ever had (which it hasn't yet). The grapes are huge, the only problem is they're not seedless, which as you can take about 3 bites out of each one... isn't really a problem. I was told at the market that the bread was "pain du compagne". Thinking that "country bread" couldnt be too bad I bought it. It's pretty good and normal which is always a relief when shopping in a foreign country. The goat cheese scared me a bit. Once again I was presented with many different types of "chevre" so I took a chance and just bought the one on the left. I was a little nervous when I got home and unwrapped it to find that it was REALLY soft and a little wet which is not normal for goat cheese in America. However one taste and I'm hooked. If you can imagine a goat cheese that is the texture of whipped philidelphia cream cheese this is it. And the apple juice was made fresh, in fact the man who makes it even has his name on the bottle. He was such a kind man, and missing the apple cider from home I couldn't resist.
I also managed to find a pretty decent watch for 10 euros. It will be totally worth it to not have to drag my alarm clock from my apartment to my classrooms when I'm teaching, as there are no clocks in French classrooms. Tomorrow one of my student's families is taking me out. I met her parents at Martine's dinner party last week, and the student herself is a sweet heart. Apparently we're going to some fisherman's obstacle course? It's supposed to be hilarious. I will take lots of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment