Sunday, December 18, 2011

My Trip to Lyon

Hey everyone! I finally am getting up my pictures from Lyon where I visited my friend Hilda mid November. Hope you enjoy them, and sorry if some of the captions are vague, I've already forgotten what some of this stuff is (which is funny because I created this blog so that I could actually explain what was happening in my pictures).



Woke up in the morning and Hilda and I went to a cute little cafe filled with pastries. This is the famous Pink Praline Brioche they make in Lyon. Lyon is actually one of the food capitals in France. This thing was delicious, and sticky..


Views along the river in Lyon.











Walking around by Hilda's apartment.
The rooster! It's France's national animal.
The famous church "fouviere" found on top of the hill in Lyon. Get ready for some blurry interior pictures.

"Close to the old sanctuary where Popes, Kings, and crowds came to pray, the city of Lyon loyal to it's vow of 1870 built this Basilique, to show their gratitute for being protected from a previous invasion."














"October 8th 1870, spared from an ivasion the city vows to create a church

December 7th 1872 the first stone is set

May 1st 1890 celebration of the first mass

June 16th the church is consecrated

March 16 1897 the church is established as a Basilique"





View of the city fromk up on the hill. Would have been much better on a nicer day.



Pathway left behind from Rome.













Wandering the old part of Lyon.


Store that sells cool mideval stuff, check out that suite of armor!

One of the famous bouchons of Lyon, created originally for workers who didn't have a lot of money I believe, are now high class restaurants where you go for meat, primarly pork but other things as well.


Famous "Love apples" in France.

Lyon is also famous for making maskes and marionettes.








The man making marionettes, sort of looks like one himself in my opinion.


Captain Jack in a candy story..






View of the church from down below.


It's a theater if I remember correctly...




Lyon at night.





The opera house.







Ancient Gallo- Romain theaters!

















The special metro train you have to take to go up and down the hill! It's on a very steep angle.

Below: the carousel at the park we went to... it was too dark to take a picture of anything else, although there was a whole area of live deer that you could pet there.

No comments:

Post a Comment