Sunday, November 6, 2011

Drop n Rock

Not a bad weekend so far in Gerardmer. Went to a rock festival last night in Saint Die des Vosges, which is a much bigger neighboring town. By much bigger I mean they have probabably more than one BNP, and there's a train station. Upon arrival I met up with Katrin the german assistant from Bruyeres and Liz the english assistant from Bruyeres.

The concert started at 18:30 (6:30) so of course because this is France, the three of us sat around until 19:45 (7:45) waiting for the festival to start. The first band was acutally pretty good, and cute. They ended up standing behind us for a good majority of the night after they played. Here's a link to their myspace if you wanna listen http://www.myspace.com/meridiansmusic .

The second band was awful... won't even bother giving you a name, it was one of those bands where they bang on the drums as loud as possible while the main "singer" screams himself horse into the microphone for a half hour with black face paint running off his face and onto his shirt. The only good part of their performance was the end... when they stopped.

The third band was really good, and had a super unique style. They did some rock stuff that also involved a saxaphone and a trombone, and they were super theatrical and funny. They have quite a bit of music on their myspace, so check it out! Warning however, they do sing in french. http://www.myspace.com/poutrellesfever The only thing I disliked about this band was that about halfway through their performance they got the crowd dancing. While I've adjusted to french people being a little too touchy when they dance at discotheques, I don't think I could ever become accustomed to the way these country french people were dancing last night, if you can call it "dancing". It mostly consisted of a bunch of giant teenagers and 20 year olds throwing themselves into each other trying to knock each other over... In this instance I felt lucky to have survived the dance outbreak without a black eye our a painful jab to the stomach, and I was shocked that the smell of the 50 something year old man dangerously dancing of front of me didn't have me passed out on the floor after 10 minutes.

The 4th band was also good, but the music wasn't as upbeat. Their best song is probably the first one on their myspace :http://www.myspace.com/medithemusic "How would you do it". I really liked the singer though... he wasn't afraid to interact with the crowd and had a good sense of humer while he was up performing.

Overall had a good time, but I think next time I'll check out the Grattoir, which is a bar around here that has live music... its a lot cheaper to stay in town, and judging by the size of the bar, I'm hoping theres no room for these crazy french people to dance. Heading over to Mat's tonight to eat the pumpkin pie we made Friday night. I'm really hoping it tastes like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment