Saturday, November 19, 2011

Colmar!

So finally after 2 weeks I have managed to upload most of the photos I took in Colmar, a city in the region of Alsace. It's been quite a busy past two weeks here. I got back, and spent a good majority of my time planning thanksgiving, and then before I knew it last Friday I was heading to Lyon (I have yet to spend hours uploading all THOSE photos onto here too). I am actually heading out to Metz in just an hour or so, so this post might be a bit brief, because I want to get it up before I head out to yet another city.

I also visited Bruyeres yesterday, it's about 20 minutes away. There's nothing there but my two friends who are assisants, oh and cows. We decided to head out for a walk in the mountains after eating lunch at a pizzeria, and what do we encouter? A heard of about 8 male cows charging at us... Needless to say we booked it as fast as we could off the trail and up the side of the mountain, where we clinged onto trees for dear life to avoid getting in the way of these cows. I now understand the phrase "Oh la vache!" It has a literal meaning here in the vosges.

Anyway back to Colmar, here it is!


Christmas decorations just outside the train station.


General views of the "old town".








The train that takes you all around town!!














WE have no idea why this restaurant has pigs in the window.. it's not very appetizing.



My favorite picture of all time, in an economy like ours, even Santa has to rob a bank to buy the children presents... I guess he couldn't pay the elves this year.

The house of heads, the entire house is covered in head sculptures. This house was also used as the wine trade at one point. It's pretty cool!
















Voltaires vacation home. I took a lot of pictures of the info boards next to all the hot tourist spots in the town. If you click on the picture it should get bigger or open in a new window so you can read about them.


His next door neighbors house looked cooler.





Dominican church, containing a famous painting that was stolen, and then randomly found years later by a house inspector.



The picture inside that gold thing is what got stolen.



Putting up the christmas market! Each market is themed, this one is themed to look like the church. I'll be heading back this wednesday to visit them actually!

Very pretty german looking church.







How they thought the earth orbited the sun?





Inside....



The old clock that used to hang on the outside of the church.

The construction of the church at different points in time.











This house was not only super old, but entirely painted on the outside. Painted buildings were actually sort of common in this town. I saw a few of them.









The house and now museum of Auguste Bartholdi. Anyone know what he did? He designed the Statue of Libery that was given to America!!! This is where he was born!






Courtyard outside his house.



No idea what this building was... but it looked cool and was on the map of things to see.












The tanners street, the oldest part of the town! Read below for more info.











The market! You could buy almost anything here, from tea, to vegetables, to fresh fish, to Bretzels (pretzels) to Saint Nicolas!











Bretzels!

See those things in the middle that look like men, some have chocolate on the bottom, those are the Saint Nicolas. Out here they celebrate Saint Nicolas day, and they sell these little brioches everywhere!

Little Venice. Part of the town has a river running through it, in the spring and summer you can take a boat to visit some of the more expensive restaurants or just see the town. It was closed for us because it was too cold, but it was still very pretty none the less.












The door to the old hospital if I remember correctly... very old.



Monument of some dude.



The High Courts..







Church that is now a school, next to a monument.. of some science guy (boy I forget a lot in two weeks...)

These arches were actually taken out, and then put back in exactly has they had been years earlier...

Check out this renaissance door!



The toy museume.. of course we go to a toy museum, and end up finding a lego exhibit... in France, the museum, also has toys from all over the 20th century and older sometimes. My camera died just when I got to the exhibit of every barbie doll ever made. But I hope you enjoy the other pictures I managed to snap!


















rocking horses through the years









race cars through the years..

























really old slightly creepy looking dolls...
















childs sewing machine from way back when..


Back outside of the old ville, snapped a picture of the fountain in the middle of the park!



Hoping to get up pictures of Lyon soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment